Thursday 7th March
Wednesday 7th March
- I spent the day in the library today catching up on sketchbook work and updated my research ot further develop my visual references.
- I wanted to further look at the themes of parallel lives which I had been previously considering.
- I think that it would be interesting to inject a "compare and contrast" aspect to my project.
- I started to record my thinking about the similarities between doctors scrubs and prison uniforms in terms of them as garments.
- How could I use the blue colour of scrubs and the iconic "prison orange" which the media and television puts such a heavy emphasis on to inform my colour scheme ?
- I think that in order to create a classy-looking and sophisticated outcome I may have to tone down the colours slightly to remove the childhood associations that these two bright colours have.
Tuesday 6th March
- Day spend at Westminster University for my interview for BA.
EDIT: all this time taken out of unit 7 was worth it ... I received an offer - Happy Sam !
Monday 5th March
- I was disappointed with the progress which I made with my Unit 7 project today, considering the break I had already taken this past weekend to prepare for westminster however there was still more to do for me to feel comfortable with the folio and sketchbook I was submitting considering that westminster is (maybe/possibly/ could be) my first choice ?
Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th March
- Having my Westminster interview coming up on Tuesday, I pressed the pause button on my Final Major Project in order to add and alter my portfolio for Westminster.
- I was frustrated to have to break the flow of my unit 7 work and interrupt my progress which I was enjoying, however I needed to put make my best effort for this interview, due to how much later in the year it was I knew that they would be expecting more from my portfolio than my earlier UAL ones.
Thursday 1st March
Tutorial with Helmert:
- It was useful to know that both me and helmert agreed on which aspects of my research and research manipulation were the strongest.
- the pages in my sketchbook where I looked at Grime culture and how I could take the iconic symbols of popular trainers and manipulate the form of the trainers around the body into a garment was my strongest work so far and I now am assured to continue along that vein.
Helmert also advised me on how to continue my research :
Research List/ Concept Development:
- Walter Van Berendock
- Prison Tattoos / stick and poke
- communication in prison between inmates
- what is banned in prison? belts? leadint he trausers hanging below the bum - belts banned to prevent suicide
- The class system
- Addressing the class system and a conversation between the 2 worlds
- breaking out of the vicious cycle of poverty etc
- looking at the working class hero - bus driver etc
- levels of hierarchy in jobs
- Nicola Malkin - balmain meets a bus driver
- the prison orange - what if a bankers suit was prison orange ? What would it say ?
- Climbing out of working class but still branded as prison fodder?
Tuesday 27th February
Did the workshop highlight any aspects of my project that I had not yet considered?
no - but it did encourage me to further explore out of a more literal area of research.
Did the workshop highlight any new interpretations of my research?
It did make me realise that I do need to visually communicate my concept very clearly in order to avoid misconceptions and mis-interpretations.
Did the workshop help me identify new areas of Research?
Did the workshop change the direction of my project ?
Monday 26th Feburary
- I had a tutorial with Tamzin this afternoon after the morning's workshops and it was incredibly useful in helping me choose a direction.
- I had two ideas originally for what paths to go down:
- Looking at my own life - creating a self portrait of what my life could have been if I hadn't been brought up in the environment I was - linking this back to male juvenile delinquency. Researching where I Iive and the two adjacent towns which have different reputations in terms of crime etc - quite literally looking at the wrong side of the tracks etc. How could the statistics ( in terms of crime and hosuing) of the towns where I have grown up - Elstree and Borehamwood - inform my design development?
- Again looking at the idea of parallel paths and comparing the similarities between prison uniforms and Doctors Scrubs - how they are esssentially the same garment but in different colours. Where can I expand this path?
Tamzin helped me decide to further develop my 2nd idea - for a start it was already more visual and she thought that it was a less controversial approach to the same topic - leaving me in a position where I could comment on the same topic but leaving myself less vulnerable to criticism.
Tamzin also suggested that I further research into these topics:
- Phycological tests
- Phycological tests performed on children?
- Ink blot test
- Raw Check test
- childrens drawings
- Netflix - central park 5
- Making a murder
- Posdcast "Serial"
Monday 26th Feburary
What did todays workshops highlight within your projects ? Weaknesses? Strengths?
Today I realised that event though I may have thought that I had narrowed down my projects themes in fact it was still incredibly broad and i needed to focus down and continue researching.
There was strength in my concept and topic, however my research needed refinement.
Do you have any new references/ research materials?
having discussed my project proposal and initial research with the group, I have though of and been suggested new topics and visuals to research.
- Housing - council housing.
- crime rates in areas where I live
- Case studies
- research case studies where mixing classes has reduced the crime rate - city planning.
- nature Vs nurture debate - twins separated at birth etc
- 1970's architecture - CONCRETE
- The Barbican
- high fashion's appropriation of working class dress.
Have you identified any new materials to explore?
I want to explore using concrete as a material - inspired by 1970's architecture perhaps?
Also Sarah suggested possibly using welding mesh in addition to concrete- how could I weave in the mesh ? etc Fabric in combination to metal?
What Changes will you be making to your proposal after the workshops?
I will be reconsidering the direction of my project proposal after the workshop - re- looking at my research topics and visuals and how they could inspire my design. Am I further looking at the class system and the contrast between the different classes in society ?
Monday 26th Feburary
Friday 16th Feburary
- Having completed some further research and watched some enlightening Ted Talks I have decided to start by looking at Male Juvenile Delinquency.
- I want to focus on this idea of "Parallel Journeys"
- Visually how can I represent the fact that some sections of society are statistically more likely to end up in prison, due to poverty and or how the justice system treats them and sentences them with prejudice.
- Could I create 2 outcomes that present the vastly two different paths that people of the same age could end up going down dependent of their life circumstance.
Thursday 15th Feburary
- Today I worked through two ideas for my unit 7 project.
- One idea was to continue and built off of my concept for Part two's "Strata" : where I looked at overpopulation, its effects on the environment, and possible drastic solutions to the problem such as human sterilisation and reintroducing deadly plagues and viruses back into society.
- My second possible concept I was very excited about. Having recently watched a few documentaries on the topic, I wanted to look at the Prison System. Specifically in regards as to weather the purpose of prison is to rehabilitate or to punish.
- I completely the 8 hashtag exercise twice, once for each idea.
- On reflection i decided that the prison topic was a much richer subject matter in terms of research and material.
- I spoke to Helmert about the idea and my concerns about it being too broad of a subject to tackle in the 7 week period.
- He suggested to focus my research into Male Juvenile Delinquency.
- This made a lot of sense: I became very inspired to research offenders in the section of society which i belong to: young males.
- In speaking to my tutor and peers I have compiled a list of research points to start me off:
- The cause of crime e.g education system etc
- Male Juvenile delinquency
- Art and design and craft as rehabilitation for prisoners - e.g knitting and crochet etc
- Manufacturing as rehabilitation
- the possibility of creating two outcomes, one addressing punishment and one addressing rehab
- Looking at prison wardens and wardens in youth detention centres
- Looking at homelessness and how a prison is a better option that the streets
- Looking at the statistics and numbers: calories per inmate, space per inmate, staff per inmate, rehabilitation hours per inmate etc etc
- Cost for the tax payer
- John Walters - Film director
- Juvi culture
- Focus on an age range, location, case study
- Pole Tax riot